Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Does your wrist feel a little lacking?


Well hello!

Lots has happened since my last post. I aced my first anatomy test. "Aced" is, however, a loose term. I won't actually get the results back until probably Thursday. But for now I can say aced and no one can question me. 

This past weekend, I had an incredibly delightful visit from Becky Johns. Oh, you don't know this Becky Johns? Well, you should get to know her. You should also give her an award because she lived with me last three years of college. A few more years and we probably would been common lawed into marriage. Except for the fact that we're both girls, we both like boys, and also I don't think I'm Becky's type. Anyways, the point of all that was actually supposed to be that it is very impressive that this girl lived with me for three years and is still my friend. One of my very best. 

I shall do a post on our weekend pronto. 

But for now, it is time for an anatomy post. 

We going to do a little testing together to discover if you have a palmaris longus muscle. This slender, little muscle is located superficially in the anterior/flexor compartment of your antebrachium. What's that? You don't speak anatomy. Don't fret, that just means your brain is probably a little less tired than mine. We'll try again. You can find this muscle on the belly/underpart of your forearm. 

Now, I am about to teach you how to find this muscle, but I need to prepare you. Some of you are about to be very disappointed... because you don't have one. You have been missing out all your life, and you had no idea. But you're not alone. This muscle is missing in approximately 16% of the population. To tell you the truth, it is only a weak, measly wrist flexor. So if you don't have one, you don't need to go out and obtain a handicap sticker for your car, but at least you'll have a cool new conversation piece to tell your friends. 

Alright now you're ready to test yourself. Flex your wrist towards yourself. Then touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of your pinky. Here is a photo example of myself:

And that, my friends, is the tendon of a palmaris longus in its glory. Now I'm worried you may confuse the tendon of your PL with the tendon of your Flexor Carpi Radialis. This tendon will be on the thumb side of your PL, and it won't stick out near as much as your PL. 
It's hard to see the FCR in the picture. It would seem my FCR is a little camera shy. Anyways, if you are without a PL, then you will only find your FCR. It will be much less prominent and all alone.

And there you have it. Well do you? Do you have it? Even if you do, go to all your friends and test them! If you test ten people, statistically you are bound to find at least one human without it! Happy hunting!


Upcoming blog posts:
- Recap of Beck's visit
- The story of my tipsy neighbor and how I accidentally let him into my apt on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. I DON'T THINK I HAVE ONE! yours is so big. so either i don't have one or mine is just wimpy compared to yours.

    ReplyDelete